Saturday, October 20, 2012

Blog Post #9

Mr. McClung 1st Blog Post:

http://www.zazzle.com/good_teachers_teach_mug-168060795196126451

Mr. McClung has shared some good ideas on what it takes to be a good teacher and overcome obsticals as a starting out teacher in these two blog post May27,2009 What I've Learned This Year (2008-09) & June 15,2012 What I Learned This Year (2009-10). It sounds like, being that he was new, felt a lot of pressure and felt that all eyes were on him and that he had to prove himself early on. He states that he began to lose a connection with the students. He became too focused on himself and missed the overall picture, teaching. This is understandable, because as a new teacher, I could see that there is a lot of pressure to perform.
Even teacher make mistakes, Mr. McClung makes this clear. Not every lesson will be a perfect lesson, but you can always build on it from feedback from students or grades, and turn it into something better next time.
Everyone wants to avoid confrontation in the work place but we all know that will never happen. We as teachers must work to promote synergy in the work place. Having good relationships with fellow teachers can lead to a more productive year and a better atmosphere.
It is apparent that Mr. McClung has connected with his students more as he’s matured as a teacher. He admits that he had too high expectations that proved to be unattainable. I believe that as teachers we all want our students to perform at their optimal level but in reality, that just doesn’t always happen.
I agree with using technology one hundred percent. Technology has exploded in recent years and has no end in sight. Laptops are on almost every desk now. We as teachers must learn to master this technology so we can implement it in the class rooms effectively. Such as slide shows to more advanced things like computer aided design.
Communication with students is important. Mr. McClung says that one student wrote him saying, I feel the teacher cares about me as a person when he listens to me as a person. We can all learn something from this because at one time or another we have all felt ignored and overlooked by some teachers. That leads to discouragement which is very counterproductive, and will ultimately leave the student feeling like they are less than adequate.
I found it amusing and interesting that he finds what he calls a “School Mom” that basically lets him under her wing while he adjusts to the junior high setting. I think a lot can be said for finding a mentor and this circle’s back to having good relationships with your fellow teachers.
The scope and sequence portion of his post also struck a nerve with me, because I too believe that I focus more time and energy on  the subjects that interest me as opposed to being more well rounded.
Mr. McClung makes a good point about never stop learning. The students never stop learning so why should we as teachers? We don’t know everything. Our credibility as teachers is based solely on the fact that we know more than the students themselves. Therefore we owe it to them to continue learning and growing as people ourselves.


 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla. I enjoyed reading your blog. I agree when you said that "The students never stop learning so why should we as teachers?" I am glad I do not have to know everything, and especially with the new technologies coming out every day we as teacher will need to say on our toes.

    The only grammar mistake I saw was when you said "Even teacher make mistakes" teacher should be teachers

    Other than that I thought it was well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tremendous improvement! You should be very proud!

    There are only 2 things that I found:

    1. "Such as slide shows to more advanced things like computer aided design."

    This isn't a sentence. All that needs to be done is combine it with the sentence that comes before it, with a comma. No big deal.


    2. Mr. McClung says that one student wrote him saying, I feel the teacher cares about me as a person when he listens to me as a person.

    Where's your quotation marks?



    Colossal improvement, though! Now, let's take what you've done so far, and inject it with some adrenaline. Below is a link to a random documentary.

    A documentary is nothing more than a well-written paper, being read out loud by a narrator. Listen to the narrator. Copy cat his style.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idj5Q4mucPY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, that video was removed. Try this one:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke5cuKobA1A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kayla!

    You did a good job on your blog post this week! I enjoyed reading it, and you seemed to have really connected with Mr. McClung's thoughts. I agree with you that we, as future educators, should never stop learning; there is always more to find out, so we should continuously be life-long learners. I also agree that technology is very necessary in the classroom.

    Along with the ones Maria and Richard mentioned, I found a few grammatical errors in your post, but most of them are quick fixes:

    1. "Mr. McClung has shared some good incite on what it takes to be a good teacher and overcome obsticals as a starting out teacher in these two blog post..."

    Obsticals should be obstacles. Post should be posts. I would also change "starting out teacher" to something like "beginner teacher."

    2. "It sounds like, being that he was new, felt a lot of pressure and felt that all eyes were on him and that he had to prove himself early on."

    This sounds somewhat awkward. Maybe you could try something like this: "Since he was new, all eyes were on him, so he felt the pressure to have to prove himself early on."

    3. "...this circle’s back to having good relationships with your fellow teachers."

    Circle's should be circles.

    Other than those few corrections, you did a nice job connecting your own thoughts with Mr. McClung's reflection. I hope EDM310 is going great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "some good incite on what it takes" I addition to the other corrections, incite should be insight. Look up incite. (You can just type incite into the URL search space and hit return.) That is not the word you want to use here!

    I agree with all of the comments above. Major improvement. More to do, but you have come a very long way!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incite- 1.Encourage or stir up (violent or unlawful behavior).

      I understand now that my word placement was not correct. Thank you for pointing that out to me Dr. Strange.

      Delete