Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Blog Post #6

Last Lecture


By: Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

           As Randy begins his speech he introduces himself and then tells about his illness. He states how he is healthy as most normal people. He is in no way asking for people to feel sorry for him, to me he is just trying to live what he has left of his life normally as possible. He is a true jewel, I don't think I have ever listened to someone so inspiring in my whole life.
            He talks about his childhood dreams. To me childhood dreams are something that we should never let die. As we get older it seems that our dreams get smaller and smaller. When I am a teacher I would like to encourage my students to stick by their dreams, and to shoot for the stars. No matter how crazy in this world anything is possible.
            I love the way Mr. Pausch looks at certain things, he opens your eyes to his point of view. One thing that caught my attention was when he said, "If someone stops giving you advice altogether or stops offering you help then they have already given up on you." Many teachers that I have had in the past have done this, they give up and its very obvious. When I am a teacher I want to make sure that I focus to never give up on any of my students. Every student in my opinion deserve to have a fair chance to learn, even if they have learning difficulties.
             Following that I also agreed with his statement, "giving credit were credit is due." I believe that with all of my heart. So many times in my life I have showed my work expecting more then I got, and that feeling is the worst. When I teach and my students bring me a painting, or a drawing I want to make sure and give them credit. By doing this it will not only make their drive stronger but I think it will higher their self esteem.
              Lastly I would just like to say that Randy Pausch was truly a inspiration to me, he made me look at thinks differently. We are so worried all of the time about all the little things in life. Mr. Pausch explained that instead of worrying we should enjoy all the little things in life. If your kids wants to do something harmless like paint their own room, let them. Those little things in life that we would normally stress about we should cherish. This is what I have taken from his lecture and I plan to use everything I have stated in my future classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Dr. Pausch was an excellent example of an educator. I personally can only pray I impact someone the way he has impacted millions. As a grammatical critique, when you use quotations the first word should be capitalized. Just a little error that is an easy fix. :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... sorry for him, to me ..." Change the comma to a period and make this into two sentences. Capitalize To in the process.

    "He is a true jewel, I don't think I..." Change the comma to a period and make this into two sentences.

    "...at certain things, he opens..." Change the comma to a period and make this into two sentences. Capitalize He in the process.

    "...when he said, "If someone stops..." Remove the comma.

    "past have done this, they give up and its very obvious. Change the comma to a period and make this into two sentences. Capitalize They in the process. You could use a semicolon here, but two sentences are more appropriate.

    "When I am a teacher I want to make sure that I focus to never give up on any of my students." Use focus on never giving up instead of focus to never give up....

    "Every student in my opinion deserve to have..." Here you need commas before and after the clause in my opinion. deserves, not deserve

    "Following that I also agreed..." Omit Following that. I think you probably still agree with Dr. Pausch. Change agreed to agree. Omit the comma after statement.

    "...in my life I have showed my work..." shown, not showed

    "When I teach and my students bring me a painting, or a drawing I want to make sure and give..." Omit the comma after painting but add a comma after drawing." to give, not and give

    "By doing this it will not only make their drive stronger but I think it will higher their self esteem. " This sentence is extremely awkward. Here is how I suggest you write it: By doing this it will make their commitment stronger and it will increase their self esteem. I admit that my choice of commitment instead of drive is a guess on my part. I really don't know what you meant by drive.

    "...was truly a inspiration to me, he made me look at thinks differently." an inspiration, not a inspiration; things, not thinks And I would make this into two sentences. Change the comma to a period. Capitalize He.

    I am glad you found the video useful. It is a powerful statement.

    BUT your writing still needs work. A lot of work. Have you contacted Richard Howell yet? You really must do so. I will send you his by email if you do not already have it.

    ReplyDelete