Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Blog Post #5

Travis Allen

      This guy immediately just amazed me by the way he was speaking and teaching like he was already a teacher. He seemed so comfortable in front of his audience. He has opened the gateway for schools to have technology and use the Ipads. He was showing the teachers how he used his Ipad and made flash cards for each subject. He was very talented and I was very impressed.
       He also raised the bar for high school kids everywhere because if he can get up and teach that well and accomplish all that he has, it makes the high school kids of today look at them selves and say well what have I done. Maybe this will drive more students to try and achieve and excel in places where they are talented.

http://paiskidd.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/virtual_choir.png

Eric's Virtual Choir
While watching Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir is was amazing how far our technology has come. He directed them as if they were all in the same room, how awesome. When I noticed that it was really people at home singing in their individual homes as a choir it was unbelievable. This choir sounds beautiful and in key, this was breath taking. Technology has come so far and I am just excited to be able to witness it. I am very glad I got to see this, I had no idea things like this even existed. Its crazy whats going on in the world and you don't even know about it.

Teaching in the 21st Century By: Kevin Roberts
       While watching this video I couldn't help but agree with Kevin. This video explains how important it is to teach kids how to use technology. It explains that simple questions could be answered if students or anyone knew how to use the web correctly. For example: Who should I vote for? My connecting flight was just canceled what do I do now? He simple states create ,evaluate, analyze, apply, understand and remember, these are the things that students should be doing. He says teaching in the 21st century means we need to rethink the tools we use and the types of problems we ask students to solve.
        I think that this video was very accurate so many people, like myself think that since we were born and raised in the millennium that we know computers and we don't. Teachers should incorporate things like blogs, twitter, and online activities so that when they are in college they will know everything. And it will be easy for students to learn these types of things when they have a teacher with them 5 days a week and they can ask questions and get answers rite then. I will definitely show my students how to use certain sites and search engines.

Why I flipped my classroom By: Katie Gimbar/ Flipping the classroom By: Ms. Munafo
While watching this video I learned why Katie flipped her classroom. She said she was teaching to the middle of the class, the students that could follow along with what they were doing while she had another group who were bored ready to move on , and another group who were struggling to understand. They weren't receiving enough content or help. This lead to 90% lecture trying to meet their needs, when they weren't being met. They talk about not having enough time to teach and get everyone on the same page. Since then she does a self based program online and they can work ahead or master things they don't know. I think that this is a very good idea, because I can relate to the kids who didn't get exactly what they needed. This is such a good opportunity for the students to be able to have a fair shot in getting their education.

1 comment:

  1. Kayla,

    Please check your class email for my full comment.
    Now, you need to remember to include clickable links in your posts, and when you do the TITLE modifier for your images, you need to put the source in that area, not a description of the image.

    ReplyDelete