Monday, October 28, 2013

C4T Summary (October)

My comments for teachers assignments have helped me tremendously. The way these teachers think and teach are amazing. I have learned how to use some unique strategies and how to keep my future students engaged while teaching.  Each of these teacher's blogs allow anyone to view videos teaching techniques for the classroom. I think that as a future teacher, I will fall back on these blogs and keep them for ideas or questions I may have in the future.  I think by reading blog post from teachers with actual classroom experience, that is the best way to learn. I also am learning that when becoming a teacher, you learn by experience not books.


C4T#4
Link: Jenna Luca
Title of Blog: Lucacept intercepting the Web
What I Wrote:
Hey, I am a student at the University of South Alabama and I have been assigned your blog this week. I am taking a course named EDM310 and we use twitter as a communication tool. I loved the video with Justin Timberlake in it, it really does put in perspective how silly hashtags can be. It is absurd how this generation is so fully involved in technological trends. I fully agree that post with excess hashtags are very infuriating. For future twitter use I will definitely keep "The Hashtag Stuffer" in mind. Thanks for sharing this educational video and helping people become better twitter users.


C4T #3
Teacher: Jennifer Brokofsky
Title: Building A Culture of Wonder: Inquiry in Primary Education
Link:jennifer brokofsky's Blog

Summary:
Jennifer Brokofsky's blog had three videos: The problem, part 2 of the problem, and the solution.
During the video the small boy and young girl were both eating skittles. They both only ate certain colors and this caused an quality problem. Because the pack of skittles was unequally colored they opened a second pack to make both sides equal. This was a very simple and relatable way to interrupt equality to small children.

What I Wrote:
Hi, my name is Kayla Szymanski and I am currently in a class called EDM310. I am attending the University of South Alabama and I have been assigned your blog this week. Your videos explain equality in a simple and very relatable way. This is such a great way to show children not only math skills but also how to be kind a generous to others. I think that the videos are more powerful than just explaining it to the class because research shows that children respond to visuals. Very good work and thank you for the ideas, maybe on day I will show these videos to my future class.



C4T #2
Author:Travis Allen
Title: My Life As A 21st Century Student

This is what I posted on Travis Allen's blog post:

Hi, my name is Kayla Szymanski and I am currently in a computer course named EDM310. My professor specifically assigned your blog to me this week. I am so proud of your work with the Ischool Initiative, it is a great way for our age voices to be heard. I am so happy to hear that the University of Jyvaskyla is partnering with you also. It seems like the education system in Finland is flawless, and as a future educator I am delighted you are trying to mainstream that into our education system in the United States. One of your quotes really spoke to me, " The more responsibility you give to students at an earlier age, the more responsible they will become", I agree with this 100%. Thank you so much for all that you are doing, your are truly a blessing to our society. 

Summary:
Travis Allen is a young researcher and founder of the Ischool Initiative. the Ischool Initiative was basically set up to educate both students and teachers to become lifelong digital learners. He is researching the education system in Finland and trying to shape the U.S. in its model. He stated that in Finland the education system is very personal so it keeps the student engaged and eager to learn more. Instead of trying to teach each student the same way, this system allows you to teach yourself in your own style. I am very excited to see the changes in our school systems, and hopefully I will see them before I am an educator.


C4T #1
Author: Davis Wees
Title: Thoughts from a 21st Century Educator
Twitter: +David Wees
Blog: David Wees's Blog

David Wees is a math teacher trying to help his students learn how to double check themselves while solving math problems. He wrote in his blog about how he was trying to compile a list of questions for his students to use while problem solving. He based his list of questions off of a book named, "How to solve it?" by: George Polya.

Here are the questions you can ask yourself when solving a mathematical problems:
1. What are your assumptions?
2. How is this problem related to another problems you have done?
3. Is there another way to solve it?
4. Can you explain the solution to someone else?
5. What tools could you use to help you solve this problem?
6. How can you reflect on your problem solving process?
7. How can you justify your solution?

This is what I posted on David Wees's Blog:
Hi, my name is Kayla Szymanski and I am currently enrolled in the EDM310 course. I have been assigned your blog for this week, and by this being done I have read your current post. I think that it is a very good idea to give your students questions they can ask themselves while problem solving. As a former math student myself, sometimes just seeing a math problem will freak you out enough to where you don't even want to begin. I think by giving your students these quick questions it will ease this sensation that I repeatedly felt while taking math courses. Also just a tip I think maybe you could condense these rules into about 5 quick easy steps. This would be a great class motto or easy memorizing learning tool for each of your students. They could use it as a way to self check themselves while solving problems too. I had a teacher that once gave us a saying, and each word meant; subtract, multiply, etc.,and it worked. You will be surprised what works and sticks in your students heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment